xorg7 install test

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Mon May 22 20:42:11 UTC 2006

Here's some short notes that I encountered when I installed xorg7 - some of these are more or less relevant, some just nitpicks.

1) xproto didn't get installed first, xextproto did and obviously failed. I guess xextproto should depend on xproto which will probably fix it

2) xproto installs /etc/profile.d/x11r7.rc, but requires that file too (first line in BUILD) to work - which obviously never works. solution: always create the x11r7.rc file (all other modules will also fail if it is not present anyway), and don't read it here

3) missing packages that really should be present, and thus included in xorg7/DEPENDS: imake, xrdb, gccmakedep

4) the following (directories|symlinks) wreak havoc: /etc/X11 /usr/X11 /usr/lib/X11 /usr/include/X11 /usr/include/GL

5) errors in line 26 and 32 of xproto/POST_INSTALL: "[ : unary operator expected"

apart from that the dependency tree solving is painfully slow - I really need to look at that in detail as I think I can prune the tree better while this is going on - looks like a core issue.

I did manage to get fglrx to install which was kind of a pain (it needs a version bump and a rewrite so I will make an entirely new module)

bitstream-vera font disappeared probably because it installed in X11/lib/fonts or something, no biggie ;^)

the vga driver is hosed - I got see-saw display on my lcd screen, it didn't detect vesa properly - seems like an xorg screwup ...

Auke