Bug in lunar

Moritz Heiber moe at lunar-linux.org
Tue Mar 21 12:38:46 UTC 2006

Auke,

currently 'lunar' is utterly and completely broken due to your changes
to the optimization system. With lunar there are two different points
where we call for optimizations now. The first one is optimize.lunar ..
which sets the options right. The second one is optimize-gcc_3_4.plugin
which sets them _wrong_ (thus they appear to be doubled) since you
changed the syntax for $CPU from uppercase to lowercase with theedge.

In optimize.menu $CPU sets the choices like "I686" or "Pentium4" while
theedge's code sets it to all lowercase like "i686" or "pentium4" ..
thus rendering the assigment of ...

CFLAGS -march cpu-specific optimization
if [ -n "$CPU" ]; then
	c_cxx_flags_add "-march=$CPU"
fi

... inside optimize-gcc_3_4.plugin completely valid. For theedge.

But with 'lunar' $CPU is set to the all uppercase choice ("I686") which
in turn results in an invalid CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS variable. Example:

+ CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse,387 -O2
-march=Pentium4 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse,387"
+ CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse,387 -O2
-march=Pentium4 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse,387"

Notice how the second -march holds an invalid "Pentium4" assigment.
This is rendering _any_ box using the "stable" lunar coretools unusable
as the compiler sees the malicious FLAGS as an error and thus fails to
pass any tests!

It needs to be addressed ASAP .. I could fix it immediantly. But I
don't know how that is going to fit in with your guidelines or plans
thus I'm asking for advice.

Regards,

Moritz