gstreamer 0.8.x vs 0.10.x

Chad R. Kittel v3rt1g0 at lunar-linux.org
Sun Mar 12 00:03:06 UTC 2006

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:09:25 +0000
sofar <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:10:51 -0600, Chad Kittel
> <v3rt1g0 at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
> > Hola!
> >
> > I was wondering if any devs have toyed around with gstreamer 0.10.x.
> > It is the next/current "stable" version of gstreamer, however it is
> > a major API departure from gstreamer 0.8.x (what we have in the
> > moonbase).  I've noticed more apps are starting to be written
> > against the 0.10.x API but not all have converted.  The new bmpx
> > can only use gstreamer 0.10.x (the xine-lib backend has been
> > removed in this release).  Unlike the glib-2 update, bumping
> > gstreamer to 0.10.x will probably break quite a few existing
> > modules in the moonbase.  This may be avoided if there are newer
> > versions of these modules available, however I do not currently
> > have a box (real or virtual) with the necessary depends to test
> > them. I guess I'm looking for some feed back from some devs who use
> > gstreamer based audio modules, if they could test the current
> > moonbase versions or newer versions of those modules against
> > gstreamer 0.10.x.  If there are too many modules that would break,
> > I would be content making a gstreamer-10 module in the moonbase and
> > a %GSTREAMER type alias for things like the gst-plugins module.
> > Sorry if this email doesn't read very well, I'm quite sleepy for
> > some reason.
>
> fortunately most people couldn't care less about gstreamer - and I'd
> rather not make an alias for something so incredibly unimportant. If
> you feel like it - make a zbeta module for the new gstreamer until
> most of the dependant module use the new API.

Thanks for the feedback sofar.

If I cannot make an alias, what shall happen with modules
like gst-plugins?  The gst-plugins module is needed for both gstreamer
(as it stands in the moonbase) and the zbeta module i would create.
Without an alias gst-plugins can only depend on one or the other.
Forcing it to depend on gstreamer (the current one) will prvent people
from even being able to use the new zbeta gstreamer.  I could dupe the
gst-plugins module and make a zbeta one of that, but that seems rather
over-the-top (and just wrong) considering that it would end up being the
same version as the non-zbeta one.  I honestly don't see why an alias
would be a bad thing, as it's kinda the whole point of the alias system,
group modules that replace each other.  The "importance" of a module
shouldn't matter when it comes to what should be alias, imo.  What
should matter is that the alias serves a practical purpose, and what is
being aliased isn't incorrect.

--
  _
(\o/) Chad 'v3rt1g0' Kittel <v3rt1g0 at lunar-linux.org>