gstreamer 0.8.x vs 0.10.x

Chad Kittel v3rt1g0 at lunar-linux.org
Sat Mar 11 05:10:51 UTC 2006

Hola!

I was wondering if any devs have toyed around with gstreamer 0.10.x.
It is the next/current "stable" version of gstreamer, however it is a
major API departure from gstreamer 0.8.x (what we have in the
moonbase).  I've noticed more apps are starting to be written against
the 0.10.x API but not all have converted.  The new bmpx can only use
gstreamer 0.10.x (the xine-lib backend has been removed in this
release).  Unlike the glib-2 update, bumping gstreamer to 0.10.x will
probably break quite a few existing modules in the moonbase.  This may
be avoided if there are newer versions of these modules available,
however I do not currently have a box (real or virtual) with the
necessary depends to test them. I guess I'm looking for some feed back
from some devs who use gstreamer based audio modules, if they could
test the current moonbase versions or newer versions of those modules
against gstreamer 0.10.x.  If there are too many modules that would
break, I would be content making a gstreamer-10 module in the moonbase
and a %GSTREAMER type alias for things like the gst-plugins module.
Sorry if this email doesn't read very well, I'm quite sleepy for some
reason.

--
  _
(\o/) Chad 'v3rt1g0' Kittel <v3rt1g0 at lunar-linux.org>