udev && fuse

Samuel Verstraete samuel.verstraete at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 07:34:28 UTC 2006

Hi,

As i like messing with sshfs i'd like to make some proposes to improve
the usability of fuse a bit... (and make lunar a bit more conform to
the other distro's out there)...

1. adjust the udev rule for fuse... I know we are just using the
default fuse rule there but i'd like to change it to this :
-
-KERNEL="fuse", NAME="%k", MODE="0666"
-
+
+KERNEL=="fuse", NAME="%k", GROUP="fuse"
+

So this will assign the /dev/fuse rule to the fuse group... This means
that any user assigned to the fuse group can now use /dev/fuse and as
such mount fuse filesystems... Having this on 666 sounds like evil to
me... just allowing *any* user to mount custom stuff on the system
doesn't sound to me like savety and it looks like at least Debian (the
only one i checked) agrees with me on that...

2. Adjust the fuse BUILD script as to create a fuse usergroup with a
low/privileged GID number

3. Can we add something like a "cat fuse >> /etc/modules" to the
BUILD to make sure the fuse module gets loaded? (maybe optionally with a
question?) or would that be too much? :p

If no one of you has objections on this i will change this in
moonbase...

gr,S.