Concerns about module quality

Stefan Wold ratler at lunar-linux.org
Fri Jan 27 05:50:30 UTC 2006

Hey guys.

I'm in whine mood right now and really have to release some of the
pressure I've built up over quite some time. The last months the quality
of commits have been rather low and we can't have it like this anymore.
First of all we get angry users, I know that some of you don't care, but I
do. Secondly it pisses me off too having to fix my boxes because someone
didn't bother to thouroghly test their update.

This is my suggestion, it's time we start doing some quality assurance of
"core" modules, such as Bash, Glibc, Xorg, Linux-PAM, expat etc etc. Make
sure they build on different kernel/glibc/gcc combinations, or at least with
the latest moonbase. That include both 2.4 and 2.6
kernel headers! Also before they are allowed to be commited at least 2-3
developers should have tested and approved the update. This will of course
be a little more work for us, but I'm just talking about a list of
core modules that always have to be tested with this procedure, not the
whole moonbase because even I know that is impossible with the amount of
developers we have today.

If you approve to this idea I suggest we start doing a list of core
modules that has to go through this kind of testing.

/rant off

Sincerely
Stefan Wold