more grubbiness (was Re: 1.6.0-i686-rc2)

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Fri Jan 27 04:08:03 UTC 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 20:05, Auke Kok wrote:
> Dennis Veatch wrote:
> >Now this was done on a drive that had been low level formatted so I know
> > there was no cruft in the MBR from previous installs. So obviously even
> > though the install procedure *thinks* grub wrote to the MBR, grub for
> > whatever reason did not.
>
> tomorrow I'm gonna run grub tests and see if I can fix the grub code -
> even the lilo code has a flaw atm so this is the only thing I want to
> fix before it becomes -final. I'll spend some time on the grub code thus
> soon in a productive and nice testing environment ;^)
>
> Auke

Poking around a bit more.

If I understand some of grub correctly. The um, correct procedure is
"grub-install hd0", then "grub", "root (hdX,X), setup (hd0) and quit. Then
fiddle with the menu.lst. Well actually "setup" is more or less doing the
samething as "grub-install" if I got that right.

Anyway. Starting from scratch again on the all scsi box (low level format).
I've run through all the install procedure and dropped to shell. So I run
"grub" and doing "root (hd0,2)" does find the correct filesystem and
partition types.

Running "setup (hd0)" of course cannot find stage1 in "/boot/grub" or "/grub".
So I try "find /mnt/boot/grub/stage1" and "file not found". Hmm. Oh, ah /boot
is on it's own partition (ext2).

Also during the install and choosing grub, I did see on the following screen ;

grub> setup (hd0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
 Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no

Error 15: File not found

Another box here with a similar partitioning scheme. Running grub, then root
(hd0,2) gets it right but setup (hd0) gives the same error as on the above
system. Tried deleting /boot/grub then running grub, umounting and fsck, run
grub-install then grub all with the same symptom above.

Downgraded grub all the way back to 0-95, no change. Something goofy going on.
--
You can tuna piano but you can't tune a fish.