[Lunar-commits] r18800 - moonbase/trunk/filesys/udev

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Tue Feb 21 23:27:44 UTC 2006

> Zbiggy. Don't have that hardware so can't test it. But to clarify my
> understanding. The usb firmware has to be loaded first before udev starts?

No. But udevstart prevents later firmware upload. In the future udevstart will
be dropped permanently so will not be an issue.

There are several ways of loading firmware:

Usually the firmware is loaded by this line of udev.rules (included in lunar):
ENV{UDEVD_EVENT}=="1", RUN+="/sbin/udev_run_hotplugd"

or can be loaded by:
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="firmware", RUN+="/lib/udev/firmware_helper"
or
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="firmware", RUN+="/lib/udev/udev_run_hotplugd"

The way I load firmware depends on udev version. If all these ways fails I
downgrade to last working udev and wait for next release.
Since few recent udev releases the official way of loading firmware using
firmware_hepler is finally working.

This usb device I use is ADSL Speedtouch 330 modem.
http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/
but udev config is described here:
http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/firmware/index.html
(scroll down to udev section at the end of page)

greets,
zbiggy