Irqbalance

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Sun Dec 17 17:29:08 CET 2006

Samuel Verstraete wrote:
> I totally agree....
>
> After having troubles with my dual opteron for months now (irq problems
> on sound and usb) i finally throw out the irqbalance daemon and it
> magically solved all instability problems...
> Even... irqbalance is only usefull on smp machines anyway so it kind of
> makes no sense at all to install it by default on every machine. (IMHO)
> After all, though dual, quad and octo cores will be mainstream within a
> few months/years from now... we will most likely release other iso's
> within that time period.

I really disagree,

first of all problems with irqbalance should really be fed back to the maintainer ASAP.
He's very responsive and will release bugfixes quite fast if there is a need for it.
Second of all irqbalance *exits* immediately on non-smp systems and thus doesn't use
resources. HT machines even are setup in one shot and the daemon also exits after that.

the benefits for smp really outweigh the burden, and us giving feedback to the author is
much more beneficial.

Cheers,

Auke