check fastest mirror

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Tue Aug 29 18:15:00 UTC 2006

> Hello,
>
> i like your idea. Let's change the subject
> of this mails to "country based mirrors" i think
> the discussion about "check fastest mirror" is closed.
>
> the main question is how useful this will be and
> how much work it will need.
>
> Cheers Jean

I think all ideas for optimizing download speed are good.
We could merge all ideas into one. Pre-selection using country based filtering
and then using Jean script to fine tune results. I have 2 big mirrors in the
same city close to me. One is 13 hops and second is 6 hops from my box.
Country selector however will tell you that both of them are better that
those from Australia but only Jean's idea will tell you which is better.

zbiggy