check fastest mirror

Jean Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Tue Aug 29 15:01:54 UTC 2006

Hello,

> I am not a fan of following the crowd. What other distributions do is their
> own business. If Lunar and it's grandpappy "followed the crowd" and NOT used
> bash as the basis of a package management system, we would not be having this
> conversation.

i see the points, and i ack. netselect isn't the right way. I thought it's the right
way, cause it's easy, and it shows the 'possible' nearest server. Thats what we
have discussions for, or?

but i can't understand your point of following the crowd. Why do we support KDE?
all are doing this. There are so many things we do, what other distributions are
doing, too. Okay.. KDE is a very bad example, but there are other things and i
think all of us know these ones.

> This issue has been brought up three or four times over as many past years.
> And the pro-arguments have always been the same as presented now. While I
> agree, IN THEORY is sounds really great. To date no one has been able to
> offer an accurate, reliable, non-invasive (that is don't annoy the host on
> the other end) way to achieve it.

ic. thats why i have to acknowledge you and the others. It doesn't really
matter now, I don't care. I thougt it could be help or useful.

Perhaps there are other things we could optimize, like this thing i wrote
to the ml, some minutes ago "country based mirrors"

Cheers Jean