check fastest mirror

Jannis jannis at lunar-linux.org
Tue Aug 29 13:39:06 UTC 2006

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:12:53 +0200, Jean Michel Bruenn wrote:

> Hello Striker,
>
> the main idea behind it, is still good. Other distributions are doing
> it the same way. Traceroutes gives the shortest way to a server - I
> mean, if i have only 3 hops to one server it's nearer then one Server
> with 25 hops (I know, it could be possible that the server with 25
> hops is faster) but we could give the user a chance to choose.

I agree with Jean in that the idea in general is a good one. I think we
don't need to argue about how much sense determining the fastest
mirrors makes - it simply does make sense.

While I like the idea of having the option to run such a script (e.g.
from lunar's Options/Software Mirrors/Detect and use fastest mirrors),
this should only be performed on demand - not automatically.

The implementation Jean posted might not be perfect (actually, I don't
know how all this could be done in a better way), it might do the job
for now, until we find a better way. Just add it
as e.g. "/usr/bin/lunar-use-fast-mirrors" and add the mentioned option
to the "lunar" menu. It would be easy to replace the content of this
script with something different later.

Regards,
Jannis