check fastest mirror

Jean Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Sat Aug 26 19:59:28 UTC 2006

Hello,

i talked ago with some developers and wrote a little bash script, it's not ready at all you'll find a todo list in it.

This script uses netselect to determine the fastest available mirror. The main problem is, if a mirror is blocking traceroutes it's shown as slowest server, so it's possible that this tool writes that the fastest server is in the netherlands (if i live in germany and all german mirrors blocking traceroutes). On the other side, that's good - Cause it would use only working mirrors.

Feel free to test this script, and perhaps add it as lmirrcheck or something like that.

Here are two examples
	From my server:

	root at ip-minds ~ # ./checkfastestmirror
	Okay, let's try to find out the fastest mirror near to you, pal
	Testing fastest GNOME mirror... http://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/ftp.gnome.org/
	Testing fastest GNU mirror... Custom
	Testing fastest LRESORT mirror... http://fr-de.lunar-linux.org/lunar/cache/
	Testing fastest SFORGE mirror... http://nvhv.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge
	Testing fastest KERNEL mirror... ftp://ftp.do.kernel.org/
	Testing fastest KDE mirror... Custom
	Testing fastest XFREE86 mirror... Custom
	Okay, found them, now we write them to the config file..

	(See ToDo cause of Custom)

	From my local pc:

	root at chani /home/wdp # ./checkfastestmirror
	Okay, let's try to find out the fastest mirror near to you, pal
	Testing fastest GNOME mirror... http://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/ftp.gnome.org/
	Testing fastest GNU mirror... ftp://194.97.2.70/pub/ftp.gnu.org/gnu/
	Testing fastest LRESORT mirror... http://fr-de.lunar-linux.org/lunar/cache/
	Testing fastest SFORGE mirror... http://mesh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge
	Testing fastest KERNEL mirror... http://www.aq.kernel.org/
	Testing fastest KDE mirror... http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/
	Testing fastest XFREE86 mirror... http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/ftp.xfree86.org/XFree86/
	Okay, found them, now we write them to the config file..
	root at chani /home/wdp #

Script attached.

Greetings
Jean Michel Bruenn