ISO/Core additions

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sun Nov 13 23:06:52 UTC 2005

> Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
> >>Hey Auke,
> >>
> >>1) I think we should include udev by default on the ISO. The 2.6.x
> >>based kernels need it for node transactions now as devfs is NOT
> >>supported anymore (as of 2.6.13.x). Without having udev installed any
> >>update from 2.4.x to 2.6.x will fail!
> >
> >Great idea. I vote for it with both hands. It would be good to include
> > also sysklogd to wake up USB ADSL modems just from ISO.
>
> there is no sysklogd on the ISO, and having it(the ISO) wake up usb/adsl
> modems is plain silly: this should be handled by hotplug/udev. Once we
> have a 2.6 iso it is up to the hotplug/udev device handling system to
> handle this - not the lunar ISO.

I thought about placing this module on ISO so it could be lined offline. This
is for help other people with USB modems. I have no problem with offline
modules because separate partition always keep fresh /var/spool/lunar for all
lunars I have. Thanks to this every fresh installation have access to modules
required to setup net connection. Reading Moritz's e-mail I remember how much
effort I had to put to track deps and collect modules required to setup net
when I installed lunar for first time. That is why I mentioned about
sysklogd. If I'm only one here using USB modem we can forget about this
because I know how to manage it in lunar. Newbies always can drop in and ask.

greets,
zbiggy