a bug in mount script

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Sun Nov 13 21:19:05 UTC 2005

Florin Braescu wrote:

>Pe data de Dum 13 Noi 2005 12:47, Moritz Heiber a scris:
>

>>On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:10:46 +0000
>>
>>Jaime Buffery <nestu at espresso.foo-projects.org> wrote:
>>

>>>* Set / RW from start and maybe remount it ro if there is any problem
>>>before fsck.
>>>

>>I think that is the best way of doing it. Once there's a problem we can
>>always go back and mount it read-only.
>>

>  I vote for it too.

I don't. you should always fsck before doing anything else, and for that
everything should remain mounted 'ro' - this is the way it always was
and the way it should remain.

Just by adding more magic this simple principle has become covered in
obscurity - this is bad of course. Once you are done fsck-ing you can
mount 'rw' everything you want without penalty anyway.

remounting things 3x does not make any sense to me at all - just fsck it
all first!

Auke