a bug in mount script

Jaime Buffery nestu at espresso.foo-projects.org
Sun Nov 13 12:10:46 UTC 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 09:46:05AM +0000, Florin Braescu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
Hi, ;)

>   There is an old, nasty bug in the mount script. The recent change made by
> sofar haven't resolved it yet. It regards udev (on 2.6 kernels, as on my
> system). At init the system fail to create the /dev nodes, and it only work
> if i change the line DEBUG="" to DEBUG="y".

Okay, so florin has tracked down the problem: if / is RO, /dev/null cannot be
written to, and this is the case if DEBUG is not set. So, we have a couple of
solutions:

* Set / RW from start and maybe remount it ro if there is any problem before
fsck.

* instead of using > /dev/null while / is RO, use grep -v ".*", for example.

Ideas and opinions are welcomed.

Ciao,
nestu ;)))