WANTED: submitted module manager(s)

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed May 25 15:08:41 UTC 2005

Remco Lubbers wrote:

> How should we go about?

This is my biggest problem as it is right now as well. My idea is to
relief some of the work that covers all of moonbase (2500) apps into two
categories:

(1) most important modules that are vital to any lunar installation
(2) userland applications and pretty much everything that doesn't fall
under (1)

The active developers should already maintain and keep current modules
in category (1), so this is not the immediate goal of a support-group.

Based on this I can say that we need people who are willing to:

* handle user requests for category (2) modules
* test version updates and perhaps contact module authors
* add MAINTAINER lines to category (2) modules
* submit updated modules in an easy form to assigned developers who can
merge them into moonbase

Second, I would think that the following would be in order:

* willingness to test all current updates and new category (1) releases
and report on them to the lunar-dev@ mailinglist
* sign off on modules and rotate them first within the team before
submitting them
* working in a separate svn sandbox shared within the team (provided by
and accessible by the lunar devs)

It basically comes down to increasing the amount of time that is spend
on testing (test-compiling, reading) modules before going to the commit
stage. We developers also neeed to start changing the way we work too:
we should read modules closely (use diffs) and NOT spend time compiling
them. This will help us a lot and definately speeds things up

Since we moved to subversion, it's possible to allow people to have a
'sandbox' tree in your local 'zlocal' next side-by-side the normal
moonbase. I hope to exploit that feature and allow non-developers to
have a joint subversion repository that will work over https. We
developers can then merge modules from that repository back into
moonbase quickly.

Most of this needs more explaining, but I hope the grand lines are
clear. We do need some adjustments to accomodate easy
merging/transferring of modules but that's probably the easiest step.

so? comments? ideas?

sofar