module: glibc

Moritz Heiber moe at lunar-linux.org
Fri May 20 14:27:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, 20 May 2005 16:08:43 +0200
Jerry Lundström <prox at lunar-linux.org> wrote:

> Moritz Heiber wrote:
> > Sorry Jerry, but I understand absolutely zero of what you're talking
> > about ;-)
>
> Check the POST_INSTALL, it depends on you having either of the
> headers installed. I don't have any of them.
>
> What I really mean is this: Shouldn't it be okey to make the
> POST_INSTALL check if 2.4 headers or 2.6 headers are installed and
> then reinstall them insteed of reinstalling 2.4 headers if not 2.6
> headers are installed?

It might just be me .. but whaaa?

> And my second question was: Why is this needed? Does glibc overwrite
> the headers in /usr/include ?

The headers in /usr/include should always match the current headers
glibc was built against. Our header handling is far from being
perfect .. but it is at least better than it was before ;^)

Now, the headers for 2.4.x are dynamicly generated because there is no
outside package for them. The 2.6.x based headers are "static" since
they are provided by someone else and thus don't need to be reinstalled
once glibc has been recompiled.

Clear?

Regards,

Moritz