1.5 iso install report

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at lunar-linux.org
Fri May 6 12:41:18 UTC 2005

Hi, just tried the 1.5-pre1 iso. I tried to keep track of problems, but
I may have missed something.

- booting the iso:
   * init: /bin/dialog: no such file or directory
   * /etc/mtab not found

- partion menu:
   * (unrecognized) -> choose filesystem ->
     "/dev/xxx is already formatted with swap filesystem"... (or ext3).
     Since it was unrecognized I don't think the warning is accurate.

- instal lunar:
   * The comment line says:
     "Create filesystems, swapfile, and install all packages onto the
     target system NO"
     Is it cut off? the 'NO' at the end seems wrong ;-)

   * problem mounting /dev/discs/disc0/part5
     You already noticed this, I saw on the website. Manually mounting it
     in vc2 fixes it.

   * Seems to hang in lunar fixdepends:
     "Waiting to lock the file /var/state/lunar/depends.backup"
     "Waiting to lock the file /var/state/lunar/depends" (after removing
     lockfile for backup)
     Killing the lunar fixdepends provess makes installer continue.

- install bootloader:
   * doesn't work at all; you already noticed. Lilo can be installed from
     vc2.

- reboot:
   * devfs FAILED
   * remount / read/write FAILED
     / is not in fstab. Never updated?
   * module deps FAILED
     / is read-only

   * dhcpcd fails silently (even says [OK])
     NIC driver not loaded (my own fault).
     lsmod -> ERROR: this is a wrapper, the binary you want is not
     installed, please lin modutils -> lin modutils fails for lack of
     network connection -> full circle ;-)

That's it for now. Other than that it looks very nice and fairly intuitive.

	Jasper