plugin system and changes needed

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed Mar 30 08:29:16 UTC 2005

Hi all,

There are some issues that I need to resolve in order to have a
maintainable plugin system. The problem is:

1) I want plugins to be installed (almost always) by the modules from
moonbase
2) when a module already is installed, and a new plugin is added to the
core, it doesn't get installed until that module is recompiled

The solution is relatively simple and elegant:

1) after installing a new moonbase, plugins are scanned and added if needed
2) after installing a module, plugins are added
3) after removing a module, plugins are removed if needed

step #1 allows use to have people constantly use an updated set of
plugins too, without the need to recompile modules. I intend to add a
/plugins.d/ subdir to the module directory to accomodate the plugins .

All the end user will see when he upgrades his moonbase is (VERBOSE=on):

+ Updating plugins

sofar