plugin code plans

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Thu Mar 24 21:12:35 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Here's an outline on the current planned things I intend to code (and
what has already changed) (some) regarding the plugin system I created in
theedge:

1 - versioned modules are gone. Moonbase already had only one (gcc/3.4.3)
and it would be better to replace or delete it

This was a requirement for:

2 - arbitrary path depth of modules in moonbase (finished). Modules can
be in section 'gnome/apps', 'zlocal/personal/xfce4-cvs' etc. Note that
this is analogous throughout the code, so the code really things that
'my/dir' is a section, but 'my' also is (unless there is no module in
'my'). Lvu section/moonbase etc. all work the same.

Modules are detecetd by their DETAILS files.

If we ever switch to subversion to maintain moonbase we can move stuff
around wherever we want (x11/qt/kde/3 anyone? just kidding!)

3 - extension of the plugin system:

3a - making all core code that performs the same functionailty multiple
times plugins (remaining candidates: bootloader handling, possibly
xinetd, initd, pamd, gather_docs (all post_install handlers!))

3b - removing plugins that are finished into their proper module in the
moonbase directory. Example: the download-subversion.plugin will go into
moonbase/devel/subversion. That will allow us to install the plugin
automatically once you lin subversion (or something that requires svn),
and remove it automatically. Also, as discussed with goran Krampe, it
will allow module writers to extend non-popular pieces of code without
the need for core devs to merge obscure patches. The module author can
push his plugin with a module

4 - aliases

In one week I will remove xservers-profile and replace it with the %X
alias throughout moonbase.

as usual, this is all up for discussion etc. Note that the plugin code
already is working in theedge, so go take a look in 'plugins.lunar' and
the '/var/lib/lunar/plugins' directory as usual for examples.

5 - Easter

Happy easter everyone !!!

sofar