Forums...Yes or No?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at lunar-linux.org
Thu Mar 17 06:59:12 UTC 2005

Jon South wrote:

> Working on the new website, I know many devs would rather not have
> forums, and some would. I've delayed adding forums to the new website
> because of this, and have decided to put it up for a vote. The current
> forums are used a bit more than the old ones, but it's still quite
> low-traffic (either because we're a small project, or not many people
> use the forums -- you decide). My current views are rather neutral at
> the moment, since I never used the forums myself.
>
> So any [active] devs please reply with your vote (yes/no/no opinion).

Dunno about [active] and I never read the lunar forums, so i can't
really say how useful they are now, but...

 From my experience with Xfce I do know that many users prefer a forum
over a mailing list (there are ~1000 people registered).  IMO a forum
only works well if it is a forum for users helping out eachother; if it
requires to much input from the devs it won't work. Xfce probably has a
slightly different audience than lunar, so these observations may not be
of much use, just thought I'd mention it.

If none of the devs is prepared to spend some time on the forums we
should obviously not have them. If a few of them would then I see no
problem in providing this service.

I don't think I'd personally have much time to spend on lunar forums, so
all the above is just idle talk I'm afraid.

    Jasper