Why it takes so long to include modules in moonbase (long text)

Zbigniew Łuszpiński zbiggy at o2.pl
Mon Jun 6 18:37:29 UTC 2005

> Zbigniew Łuszpiński wrote:
> >>Mostly because I am the person who does the openpgp stuff in lunar.
> >
> >I was only talking in general. There are other modules in queue not
> > connected to openpgp in any way. I was worried that modules I sent was
> > lost in cyberspace (have problems with postfix and lvu submit  - had to
> > use KMail and copy -paste). But sofar told me they are in queue and
> > everything is all right. I'm sure devels will put them into moonbase when
> > they find some time. You know, modules I sent are in general for fun
> > (audio, video etc.) so have low priority. I use them at home and lin them
> > from zlocal, if anybody need to use these modules I can send them as
> > e-mail attachment.

> I'd like to add some stuff to this for information. There are several
> issues we have right now with user submissions that make it very time
> consuming to process incoming submissions.
>
> 1) the submission format is broken. The created 'diff' somehow doesn't
> work correctly when used with the 'patch' command. This makes testing
> the changes/new modules cumbersome and time consuming
> 2) we don't have a proper way of handling/storing/queueing updates. This
> needs to be fixed before we can properly mass-handle submissions
>
> basically we need workable ideas on how to manage submissions. Ideas are
> welcome.
>
> sofar

Maybe contribase? Every module sent via submit is included immediatly "as is"
in contribase. If contributor will include e-mail address in maintainer line
- takes responsibility, otherwise such module is maintained by community.
Contribs has access to their own modules in contribase so can fix and update
modules fast. Users can choose if they want to install new, wild and untested
contrib module or use solid, stable moonbase. Brave users who do not afraid
of using contrib can send reports directly to module author. If module author
can not fix issue - sends bug report to lunar mailing list and other people
try to fix it. Contributors can graduate to power contributors, power
contributors to developers. Tested, good modules can be moved to moonbase.

I think this idea has some advatanges:
+if people will have their modules, they will feel as a part of this project
+moonbase will be still safe
+contribase is optional, if someone afraids of installing untested software
can use moonbase only.
+more people do more updates
+developers are offloaded
+developers have unlimited access to contribase  - can browse contribase and
fix broken modules coaching contributors.
+users send reports directly to module authors so developers are not bothered
without reason

disadvatanges:
- creation of contribase, contributors accounts needs some work

contribase could be designed as FTP server directories. Once per hour
contribase directory tree is bziped and published for download like moonbase.

I think in such way community driven project works. Anybody, feel free to add
advatanges/disadvatanges or commnets to this text.

greets,
zbiggy