[Lunar-commits] r15885 - in moonbase/trunk/video: xine-lib xine-ui

Zbigniew Łuszpiński zbiggy at o2.pl
Fri Jul 29 18:02:48 UTC 2005

> Terry Chan wrote:
> >>From http://xinehq.de
> >
> >Release Name: 1.1.0
> >
> >Notes:
> >xine-lib 1.1.0 is the latest release from the xine team. This release
> >might not be as stable as the (just released) 1.0.2 version due to
> >some core components being upgraded (ffmpeg, goom,
> >ImageMagick) and features like the newer deinterlacer methods.
> >
> >So, if you have an older distro that is not gcc4 based and would like
> >a safer upgrade path, 1.0.2 might be a good option for you.
> >
> >If you like to try the latest ffmpeg/goom/deinterlacer improvements,
> >or if your distro uses gcc4, then 1.1.0 should be the best bet. Just
> >don't forget to report any bugs so we can fix them!
>
> well that's a very different story - they're basically saying that "it
> might not be stable" with gcc-3 ... still no problems here at all, it
> plays everything OK.
>
> "If you like to try the latest ffmpeg/goom/deinterlacer improvements, or
> [], then 1.1.0 should be the best bet."
>
> sounds reasonable to keep it at 1.0.2, but I'll try to spot the changes
> anyway with 1.1.0 for now ;^)
>

> sofar
>
> >Terry
> >--------------------------------------------------------

> >>I just compiled it on gcc-3.3.3 on a 2.4 box and recompiled xfmedia ->
> >>works just fine for me !!!
> >>
> >>sofar

IMHO:

I used xine 1.0.2 but now use xine 1.1.0 (zlocal module).
The 1.1.0 one works very well on lunar 1.4.0, watched 'Black Adder' DVD with
xxmc hardware decoding.

xine 1.1.0:
+ devel version - can be unstable (but is rock solid on my machine)
+ since this version xine compiles well with gcc4 (no compile errors; I still
use lunar gcc 3.3.3 - can not confirm this)
+ big update of core modules so if bugs appear will affect many users (that is
why they released both versions, did not fund any bugs yet)
+ works with gcc3 and gcc4 but this is first working release for gcc4 (I
heard) and that is why they advertised gcc4 in changelog. xine 1.1.0 _still
compiles_ with gcc3. It even works better with gcc3 than previous xines.
+ on my machine 1.1.0 is first xine-lib that do not need patching before
compiling

xine 1.0.2
+ official version - stable, beacuse of only little cosmetic changes
+ there are problems during compilation using gcc4 (this is main reason why
xine 1.1.0 was released - to fix distros using fresh gcc4, like fedora)

I think xine 1.1.0 can be safely imported in moonbase. Compilation is better
(no patching needed). New version is a little bit faster (probably thanks to
enabled optimizations).

greets,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski