openssl-0.9.8

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed Jul 6 10:08:03 UTC 2005

Terry Chan wrote:

>When testing the new version of openssl-0.9.8, it seems to break quite a few
>apps in moonbase because of hidden depends on openssl existing in moonbase.
>
>I had to hack the openssl module to temporarily add symlinks for:
>
>/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7 -> libcrypto.so.0.9.8
>/usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7 -> libssl.so.0.9.8
>
>This is less than ideal.  If someone else has a better idea on how to fix
>this problem of version bumping openssl from 0.9.7g to 0.9.8, feel free to
>fix it in moonbase.
>
>I have NOT bumped the version of openssl to 0.9.8, in moonbase.
>
>Once all the hidden apps have been recompiled with the new openssl, they
>seem to work fine with libcrypto.so.0.9.8 and libssl.so.0.9.8.

this is an ever re-occuring problem with only one answer: you have to
recompile all modules that (somehow) depend on openssl. The only
solution I see for openssl is:

1) bump the module but do not do anything specific after
2) send out an announcement prior with instructions and a code snipplet
that shows you how to rebuild the required apllications, or otherwise
use 'lunar fix' to autodetect and rebuild based on broken symlinks
(ldd_check catches these).

anything other is futile IMO

sofar