pkgconfig bumpy?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at lunar-linux.org
Sat Jul 2 15:16:46 UTC 2005

Op za, 02-07-2005 te 15:18 +0200, schreef Auke Kok:
> Chad Kittel wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I thought i would shoot an email off to the ML here to see if there is
> > a reason why we shouldn't upgrade the pkgconfig module.  We currently
> > have 0.15.0, latest official one is 0.18.0.  However, I did some testing
> > around and found 0.18.0 to be problematic on a few random modules where
> > as the version prior to 0.18.0, 0.17.2 did not experience any
> > troubles.  Though looking at it again, that could be due to me just not
> > having the ENV variable set up right. (It looks like pkgconfig 0.18.0
> > went from PKG_CONFIG_PATH to just PKG_CONFIG)
> >
> > Anyhow, The reason for this is because I'm ran into an application that
> > uses some autoconf stuff that needs features (scripts) found in the >=
> > 0.17.0 release.  Looking around at other distros there seems to be a
> > good mix of both 0.15.0 or 0.17.2 being shipped, and no 0.18.0.
> >
> > I propose we bump the module to 0.17.2.  Thoughts?
>
> sounds good but I would like to hear the same from one of the Xfce guys
> like Jasper... Jasper: have you seen this problem too or do you know
> this from others?

There was a problem reported to the XFC list. I believe there is a
problem with pkg-config > 0.15 where the behaviour of changed to no
longer include flags for dependend libraries. This change may break many
apps. For instance if you only depend on libxfcegui4 but not gtk, you
may get link errors. I didn't check but I think that is the problem.

Some time ago I also read a blog comment by some GNOME dev that he fixed
this in CVS. I don't think this fix has been released yet.

I'm a bit afraid that bumping this module will cause a lot of breakage.
We could try and test a few xfce and gnome modules to see if it works.

	Jasper