rpm and db4

Terry Chan tpchan at comcast.net
Mon Jan 24 02:04:24 UTC 2005

Not sure how Ratler verified that rpm links against db4 as the module for
rpm in moonbase/zbeta/rpm, incorrectly lists db as a depends.  rpm includes
its own source code for the db libs.  It does NOT link against db nor db4.
Try ldd on any binary or library installed by the rpm module to test this assertion.

I've updated the moonbase/zbeta/rpm/DEPENDS script as rpm clearly does NOT use
external or system libs for linking to db.

In fact editting the BUILD script to use --without-db (./configure --help says
this tells rpm to try and build without using the included copies of db)
fails miserably.

Summation: rpm correctly builds with it own internal copies of db.  It fails to
build using the db4 source code which is installed on my lunar box as plain db now.
So I removed db from moonbase/zbeta/rpm/DEPENDS.

Terry Chan