Changing db -> db3 and db4 -> db proposal

Stefan Wold ratler at lunar-linux.org
Sat Jan 22 14:52:16 UTC 2005

Hey everyone,

We had a discussion on #lunar today where most of us agreed we should get
rid of the ancient db3 module as dependency. Most of the modules will work
perfect with db4. One of the problems is when some modules start to link
against both db and db4 module which definatly break things, assuming you
have both db and db4 installed.

To solve this we decided to mobe db to db3 and db4 to db. This still
requires a bit more testing since we will have to force a rebuild of all
apps depending on the module db. I have started and have confimred that:

perl
apache
cyrus-sasl
exim
php
heimdal
openldap (but have an issue with cyrus-sasl, not db related)
gnome-libs

... works just great with db (db4). If you know any apps that really wont
run with db4 just let me know, because if not we are going to change so db
will be version 4.x instead.

Sincerely
Stefan Wold