kernel-headers-2.4 module

Moritz Heiber moe at lunar-linux.org
Thu Jan 20 13:04:58 UTC 2005

Hi,

the current kernel-headers-2.4 module is a mess. It's the worst hack
I've ever seen .. and it is more a pain than a gain. Nobody should be
forced to recompile glibc in order to get the proper headers in place
(not to even get to the part what happens when you're actually using
2.6.x).

So, I'd vote for either:

a) Go for symlinks again. Symlinks that are pointing to the right
location for the headers inside the kernel source tree. We could still
keep the kernel-headers-2.4 module .. but just turn it into a
"do-symlinks"-sort of module.

or

b) Make up a "real" kernel-headers-2.4 module instead .. which means to
keep the wrapped up kernel headers in a tarball on our mirrors.

So .. it's either a) or b). If somebody can point me to c) .. go for it.

Regards,

Moritz