modutils / module-init-tools

Jaime Buffery nestu at espresso.foo-projects.org
Mon Jan 10 23:41:27 UTC 2005

Hello fellow devs,

I have created a few scripts to act as wrappers for module-init-tools and
modutils. Depending on your kernel version, it will call a 2.4 binary or a 2.6
binary that is placed in an alternative location, so they don't overlap.

The wrappers module I propose would have to be installed from m-i-t's and
modutils' POST_INSTALL, as it can't be set as DEPEND, because the scripts must
not overwrite the binaries that would still be installed.

The prefix location I have tested on my box is
/lib/{modutils,module-init-tools} for the non-overlapping install of these
modules. If these wrappers are committed, I will change m-i-t and modutils
modules accordingly in moonbase.

I know /lib may sound a weird location, but think that modprobe is called on
boot, so we can't assure any other location than / is already mounted.

I will commit tomorrow evening/night, unless stated otherwise.

The module with the wrappers is at
http://www.lunar-linux.org/~nestu/modutils-wrappers-module.tar.bz2 .
DO NOT lin this module. It is there only so you can have a look. You can still
lget the source if you like, but as said in the module's DETAILS you can get
the scripts at http://www.lunar-linux.org/~nestu/modutils-wrappers-0.1.tar.bz2 .
I recommend having a quick look at the module and the scripts to understand the
whole lot (2 minutes should do).

Ciao,
nestu.