XOrg 7.0

Chad R. Kittel v3rt1g0 at lunar-linux.org
Thu Dec 22 05:08:09 UTC 2005

Moritz Heiber <moe at lunar-linux.org> [Thu, 22 Dec 2005 00:50:06 +0100]:
> Hi!

Hola Sir Moe and others!

> As of right now (or maybe 20 minutes ago) XOrg 7.0 has been released.
> 7.0 has a new autotooled build system i.e. our old modules are
> obsolete.

Yes, there are two offical releases. XOrg 6.9 (the last of the
monolithic - huge "single source" - tree) and XOrg 7.0 (the first and
future of the modularized - maybe 100+ individual source packages -
tree).  After this date (short of any security and/or major bug fixes)
there will be no more monolithic releases and all future work is done
in these individual packages.

As you can maybe can guess the indiviual packages make it easier for the
XOrg team to fix parts of the X server (and/or utils) without having to
republish the entire application, instead just republishing the
indivual module.

> I'm going to write a new module from scratch personally, so if you
> want to join the effort write me a mail. Please DO NOT duplicate work
> on this one especially DO NOT check anything into svn before others
> including me have signed them off.

I would love to join you on the module creation process!  This will
likely be a large chore with the number of individual source files
available.. http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/X11R7.0/src/everything/

The depends tree for all of these is available somewhere on the XOrg
website (can't seem to locate it right now).  Most of the "bigger"
distros have been working importing the moduluar XOrg for a few months
now into their repositories.  I think we are getting a late start on
this but we have the advantage of using knowlege gained from these
other distros on their packaging experiences.

The other depends tweaks that need to be done are to individual
applications themselves that are already in the moonbase.  because X is
modularized that means one doesn't have to install and depends from
individual existing lunar modules can be made against parts of the XOrg
tree as needed.

I would hope that we could take this time as well and really sort out
some good moonbase structure.  The XOrg modules are really broken up
into certain classfications that would make good moonbase
catagories/groups.  Eg.  x11-fonts, x11-libs, x11-apps, x11-base,
x11-drivers

> I hope I made this clear. Thanks!

As do I, this will be a significant amount of work and doubt it will be
production ready for some time.  We have the option of _for now_
converting our XOrg module to be the monolithic version until we get
the modularized modules available in the moonbase.

Sorry if the spelling is bad, my spell checker is on the fritz and i'm
tooo tried to check with with aspell manually.  nite nite!

> Moritz

Happy Almost Christmas!

--
  _