grub and xfs

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Tue Dec 20 14:52:35 UTC 2005

I've noticed something about odd using xfs and grub.

Normally I have partitions setup as swap, /boot (ext2), / and /home. For the
longest time I have used reiserfs for all but of course swap. In
the /boot/grub/menu.lst I have always used;

title   2.6.15-rc2
kernel  /2.6.15-rc2
root (hd0,2)

and never had a problem. So just for geewhiz on another box. I setup the same
partition scheme but with / and /home as XFS. Using the same setup noted
above in /boot/grub/menu.lst the system will not boot... it can't find root.
However, leaving everything else the same and changing the kernel line to ;

kernel  /2.6.15-rc2 root=/dev/hda3

the system will boot.

I do not know if this is a grub problem, an XFS problem or if there is
something askew with our mount scripts.

Has anyone else seen this?

--
You can tuna piano but you can't tune a fish.