gather_docs() enhancement

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Sun Sep 19 21:26:27 UTC 2004

Chad Kittel wrote:

>I have come up with a working example of something small I would like to see
>added to the tools the developers have when creating modules.  It's nothing
>major but I would like to get input on it from anyone that cares to provide
>input.
>
>It's an extended version of the already existing function gather_docs() (found
>in postbuild.functions).  It would allow a module writer/maintainer to be
>able to install any extra documentation (above and beyond what is already
>automagiclly copied over) they feel would be nice to add to the module's
>document directoy. This just provides a standard (and quicker) way of doing
>this.
>
>An example usage is in a BUILD file
>gather_docs TODO INDEX Notes extras/*
>
>Which would copy the files TODO, INDEX, Notes, and create a subdirectory
>called extras and copy any files found in that directory to the new
>directory.  It also obays $GARBAGE=on as it currently does.  The files list
>are all to be relative to the #SOURCE_DIRECTORY

=^D

code looks good, three questions:

1) did you test it properly and does it work?
2) does it handle directories passed as argument properly?
3) afaics it doesn't break old lunar/theedge cores if it's used in a
module (right???) - double check

if you can answer both with 'yes' confidently I see no reason to keep it
from lunar/theedge.  *HOWEVER*...

since the old code doesn't handle this correctly (although gracefully
ignores the extra flags) we should consider bumping the UPDATED fields
of lunar/theedge subsequently as this spreads around moonbase (tho I
would give this a low priority of course). Still I don't see why this
shouldn't go into theedge right away anyway

sofar