installing random version of a module

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed Oct 6 11:30:32 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have just written a bit of code that allows you to substitute the
VERSION in a DETAILS line on the fly when linning a module. You would do
something like this:

$ lin --want 2.3 ccache

The code then does the trick and substitutes the VERSION number in the
DETAILS by the wanted version, disables source file integrity checking
(of course, big warning), and tries (successfully in this case of
course) to install ccache-2.3 instead of ccache-2.4 (which is current in
moonbase).

This patch therefore:

- makes it extremely easy to test no-brainer module updates (right now
I'm trying ImageMagick-6.1.0-3 this way)
- increases test user base dramatically since it doesn't require the
user to edit files

however, it should be noted that this method should not be used for
normal operations and we should not support modules installed this way
(and make that clear I think).

so.. what do you guys think? commit to theedge or not?

sofar