about new devs (sorta)

Jaime Buffery nestu at espresso.foo-projects.org
Tue Nov 23 11:53:02 UTC 2004

Hello fellow devs!
Hope all of you are fine (that includes the ones I see and the ones I don't :).
Well, I have a little proposal: instead of adding a dev each time one can show
up, why not create the figure of maintainer:
	* No real acct on espresso
	* Would have forwarded mail, with a @lunar-linux.org or
	maintainer.lunar-linux.org or st alike.
	* Commit priviledges cut down to the modules(s) {,s}he maintains.
	* If the maintainer proves good, promote to dev, under current devs
	consensus.
IMHO, we have a lack of devs to maintain all our userland. Users could
maintain their own module(s), without being actually part of the core team. It
would mean outsourcing module maintainment. We can keep a subset of modules
like gcc, headers or glibc for devs, so noone could touch that. Uncritial apps
can be maintained by our userbase. It may help get more ppl attached to us. As a side
note, I don't know what overhead in commit configuration that would be. The
mail forwarding is obvious ;)

Just an idea. Time to rant.
Ciao,