New /etc/services?

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Thu May 6 09:50:34 GMT 2004

Jerry Lundström wrote:

> Jon South wrote:
>
>> Would it be possible to distribute a new /etc/services on the ISO
>> using the one from http://www.graffiti.com/services ?
>>
>> It's much more complete than any other services file I've ever seen
>> and has been quite useful to me as a network admin...Was hoping to
>> share the wealth :)
>

> How about I make a module that will merge the content of that url with
> our service? =)

that would be the proper approach as ^/etc/services is $PROTECTED and
therefore never will be removed. Merging contents would be better, but
if you look at /etc/services from the ISO you'll see that it's not that
easy... (merge && sort won't work, perhaps merge unknown entries at the
end...? )

sofar