optional depends logic - please follow me

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Mon Mar 29 23:58:58 GMT 2004

I'm just blogging this up on paper since my brain needs to sort out the
logic before I code it first... try to follow me:

if a module is installed and another module has it as an optional
depends, there are a few possibilities:

s1) if no --with or --without option is given... it will always
autodetect the presence of the optional_depends

s2) if both --with and --without options are given, the module
dependency is truly optional since it can be switched off

s3) if only an --with option is given then the module would not
autodetect the optional dependency

s4) if only an --without option is given then the module does not detect
that the optional dependency is (not) present, or can be turned off
explicitly but will be enabled by default if its installed

* in case s1) it's silly to ask the user about the dependecy, since the
module will automatically turn it on (it is in fact almost the same as
required)
* in case s2) you *MUST* ask the user what to do
* in case s3) you *MUST* ask the user what to do
* in case s4) you *MUST* ask the user what to do

I will add case s1) to the optional_depends, this will reduce the number
of optional_depends questions a bit for those who are annoyed by them.

sofar

--
todays philosophy equivalent: "If we have no control over our lifes at
all, would we be happier than if we had control over everything?"