xfree module from Elaine

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Mon Mar 22 13:33:06 GMT 2004

kernel 2.6.5, 2.6 kernel headers, gcc 3.3.3

Seems my problems with xfree 4.4 was the DRM stuff. I did not know there were
such issues with my current setup noted above. My thanks to tchan and others
for pointing that out.

I'm guessing those were the same problems I had with xfree86-beta and the
standard xfree86 module. Frankly I don't feel like relining xfree for the
umpteenth time to be 100% sure, at this point I will settle for 95% sure: )
Well I'm sure it was the same problem as it spit out the same xf86drm/drm.h
errors.

So dropping the DRM out of the kernel and host.def, Elaine's 4.4 module lined
fine.  It then checked dependencies for xserver and defaulted to
xfree86-beta. Which failed, couldn't find the xfree version for beta. So ran
"lin -c -r xserver" and chose xfree as the default. That all worked fine. So
I now have xfree.

Which leads me to a suggestion about the xserver profile. It's logic seems a
bit confusing. If you have lined xfree86 why would a user be given the option
of choosing xfree86-beta profile?

I understand it from a top down aspect in that you lin xserver and have a
choice. I don't understand it from bottom up. Approaching it that way it
should perhaps automatically default to the xfree module you lined.

So I guess my point is, which ever xfree module is lined, the appropriate
xserver profile should automatically be selected.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.
--
Registered Linux user 193414
http://counter.li.org

"Trying"? My contribution was much closer to a "feeble wave in the general
direction of something that might lead you one step closer to a solution
if you squint really hard and do all of the work."