kernel annoyances [still]

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Mon Mar 22 11:06:25 GMT 2004

hi,

I just linned 2.4.25 and afterwards got a bit irritated by the following
message:

modprobe: Can't locate module soundcore
Creating /var/log/lunar/compile/alsa-driver-1.0.3.bz2
! Problem detected during BUILD

apparently my "current" kernel doesn't have sound support, pity, but
when I look at the BUILD:

                --with-kernel=/usr/src/linux  \

it builds against /usr/src/linux (which has sound support).

I've seen these wrong assumptions here and there and propose we put an
end to this by assuming the following:

* a module that installs kernel modules must build against /usr/src/linux

* it also must NOT do depmod -a but rather depmod -ae -v $(version of
kernel in /usr/src/linux) [this goes wrong in quite a few modules]

hopefully kernel upgrades will become a lot easier since post-kernel
lins will allow you to install the new kernel modules *before* reboot,
and this is quite needed (for instance, I am at home on wifi, and cannot
download the wifi sources AFTER I've rebooted if wifi isn't working
because the module built against the wrong kernel)...

I hope I'm not making any strange mistakes here... correct me if I'm
wrong please.

sofar