Suggestion to kernel module

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed Jun 16 21:21:29 GMT 2004

rants:

well theoretically this is the worklist split up by the person who
supports the kernel modules currently:

2.6-mm		nestu
2.6-vanilla	nestu
2.4-om		sofar
2.4-stable	niki
2.4-vanilla	niki(/tchan?)
2.4-grsec	niki

the extension would therefore be:
2.4-pax		?
2.6-pax		?

as for whomever wants to write these new kernels... feel free. It would
be interesting to see at least (I though pax was in grsec... isn't it?)

second of all I don't see the need to upgrade the -om kernel module
which I wrote and maintain. The simple reason is that openmosix is
inheritantly insecure and should not even run anywhere else than on a
private subnet. This reliefs the need for a "patched up" version really.
Note that porting/merging the -om kernel patches takes considerable time
that I'm investing and have the testing abilities for (right now my -om
cluster counts 19 nodes).

that leaves the -vanilla (which is .26) and other 2.4 kernels... they
really need a bump badly. I have informed niki already that my one host
running his -grsec kernel v26 has dissappeared off-radar already 3x and
is now back running .25... If anyone has a solution... please tell me.

most urgently I'd like to see the -stable kernel and -vanilla merged.
There is no need to run these two separately indeed, but the extended
fixes are nice. Perhaps these can go inside the same kernel but with an
optional patch? (-stable patches, -extended functionality patches and
3rd degree aggressive patches?)

one last thing: unless we can go 100% 2.6 (with kernel headers and full
rebuild AND all apps) it's insane to try to make -grsec and -om kernels
for 2.6. This will make people think they can only run a 100% 2.6
system, and they will fail miserably. I don't think that would be a good
move now, so anyone requiring something more than just a play-kernel
should either try themselves or stay far from 2.6 for now (you won't see
me updating my cluster or -grsec boxes to 2.6... they have work to do!)

hmmm more thoughts coming... think it over first...

sofar