grub and lilo script

nestu nestu at lunar-linux.org
Tue Jul 13 13:07:15 GMT 2004

Hello fellow devs,

	I am currently working on a (hopefully) new way to handle
lilo and grub for coretools (yes, for kernel's
POST_INSTALL). For testing purposes, I have made a harmless
example script, and I need your help to nail down possible
problems.

	The script's aim is to set grub's root command (that says
where /boot is), and also sets where your root partition is
(e.g. '/' ), for lilo and for grub. All the rest of the
output of grub and lilo examples is fake. If you dont
understand what you see, dont worry.

	An example run (on my box) is something like this:

<paste>
root at Himawari /Warehouse/Lunar/Lunar-doc #
./update_grub_fixed.sh
using /etc/fstab and /proc/partition for data
ROOT=/dev/hda2
BOOT=/dev/hda2
DEVICE is /dev/hda
DEVICE is ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
STRIPPED DEVICE IS name
STRIPPED DEVICE IS
STRIPPED DEVICE IS hda
STRIPPED DEVICE IS hda1
STRIPPED DEVICE IS hda2
STRIPPED DEVICE IS hda3
STRIPPED DEVICE IS hda4
STRIPPED DEVICE IS hda5
hda ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0 || ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0
----- GRUB EXAMPLE ----
title mykernel
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2

----- LILO EXAMPLE ----
image = /boot/vmlinuz
         label = mykernel
         root = /dev/hda2
         append = "whatever"
</paste>

	All info above "----- GRUB EXAMPLE ----" is debug output.
All debug output is sent to stderr, so if you want to get
rid of it, redirect it to /dev/null:

<paste>
root at Himawari /Warehouse/Lunar/Lunar-doc #
./update_grub_fixed.sh 2> /dev/null
----- GRUB EXAMPLE ----
title mykernel
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2

----- LILO EXAMPLE ----
image = /boot/vmlinuz
         label = mykernel
         root = /dev/hda2
         append = "whatever"
</paste>

	Note that I *need* the debug info, so please send me the
*long output*, not the last version short output. I would
also need to receive your */etc/fstab* file and
*/proc/partitions* file, that the script uses for input, to
check for possible problems. Another important thing to
mention is that the script doesn't have support for raid
devices (any ideas on this will be welcomed!)

	I hope that didn't sound too demanding... Thanks for your
time, ladies and gentlemen!
	CU,
	Jaime ;)
--
Lunar Linux		http://www.lunar-linux.org
XFce Desktop		http://www.xfce.org

QOTD:
<Fuzzbox> "Lunar dev looking for a pretty girl to show her
the stars"

QOT?:
<Veerappan> also, i'm upset.  my roommate's treadmill is too
short.
<Veerappan> another foot, and my bike would fit :)