Some ideas/directions for the next set of Lunar Install/Rescue ISOs

Terry Chan tpchan at comcast.net
Sun Jan 18 22:48:56 GMT 2004

To all the lunar-devs currently working on porting Lunar to the non-x86
architectures, I thought we should have some general notes/ideas for
the next set of Lunar ISOs, the 1.4.x series.

Lets plan on using at least gcc-3.3.2 as the installed compiler on
all the various isos.  This will finally allow moonbase gcc module to be
bumped to gcc-3.3.x as well.

I'm also considering installing a stripped down xfree86 (as usual with
modules on the ISOs -- no docs!) with just the VESA server and no NLS
support on the install/rescue ISO.  This will help prevent lunar newbies
from asking "Why can't I just lin kde3, without first doing lin xfree86?"

For the sparc64 ISO, it is already built with just gcc-3.3.2 and egcs64
for the 64bit kernel.  I assume the default video server for xfree86 on
this architecture will be UPA.  PPC, Alpha ISOs will have to choose
some default xserver if we do choose to install xfree86 on the ISOs.
This will also allow work to proceed on the "Live CD" versions of the
Lunar Linux ISOs.

I suppose we should also consider using Linux kernels in the 2.6.x series
for the next set of Lunar ISOs (what I'm referring to as the 1.4.x series
of Lunar ISOs).

Devfs is still in use for the x86 and the Sparc64 ISOs.  I'm not sure what
the other devs are planning on using/including on their testisos.

Currently the ISOs that are works in progress are for these architectures:

PPC
Sparc
Sparc64
Alpha
AMD-64

Anything else we should consider standardizing across all the various Lunar
ISOs ?

Terry Chan