modutils and module-init-tools

Jaime Buffery nestu at dbguin.lunar-linux.org
Mon Apr 26 19:58:05 GMT 2004

Hello ladies and gents ;)
First of all, I'd like to congratulate sofar, as I suppose he'd be
seriously annoid if I didn't because I haven't done so yet (and
specially knowing how much he likes to be congratulated) ]:-) In second
place, the nitty gritty of it: we have a slight problem with modutils
and module-init-tools (m-i-t, from now on), and I'll explain why: ppl
have modutils installed for their kernel 2.4 kernel. When they wish to
test a 2.6 kernel, they install m-i-t. m-i-t renames all modutils
binaries to *.old, and what happens when you boot a 2.4 kernel is that
2.6 m-i-t binaries fail and then modutils' *.old are tested. So, for
working reasons, everything is fine, untill you try to remove modutils
to only keep m-i-t. As modutils installed its binaries without the .old
suffix, and the place was taken by m-i-t's binaries, lrm modutils
removes m-i-t's files and not its own, leaving you with only dirty 2.4
*.old modutils files. Obviously you can argue that there is no need to
remove modutils then, as it isn't a big package anyway. Fair enough, but
taking away m-i-t if you don't like 2.6 kernel will be problematic
as well. Therefore, we could relin modutils in m-i-t's POST_REMOVE, and
relin m-i-t in modutils' POST_REMOVE. There is also another way:
installing modutils binaries as .old and creating links from the non-old
binary names, so that checkconfig traces the old files and not the
"normal" names. When m-i-t is installed it should check for those links
and remove them if neccesary. Both ways with a fix or 2 more
(those *.old must not be kept _unless_ both modutils and m-i-t are
installed) should be able to assure that the binaries are in their
proper location.
Ideas, complaints? More fixes? Please answer here or on irc, so we can
commit the changes ASAP ;)
TIA,