XOrg vs XFree86

Nick Hudson nhudson at lunar-linux.org
Wed Apr 7 08:34:39 GMT 2004

Greetings,

    Today Keith Packerd has released the 1st stable version of the fork
of XFree86, XOrg Xserver.  Now with that in mind should we move away
from using XFree86 since we have decited not to move to 4.4.0?  IF
anyone wants to read up on things you can go here
http://freedesktop.org/XOrg to get that info.  I guess I am just asking
for everyones opinion on the subject.  Personally I think we need to
move to XOrg, there is development going on and progress being made,
XFree86 is not going to change their license and I see all other "major"
distros switching to use XOrgs xserver.  There shouldnt be alot of work
to do to switch you system over.  Everything will run and compile the
same as if it was XFree86.  Anyway there is a module in moonbase right
now with a beta version of XOrg that it will install.  Hopefully once I
can update Gnome, then I will start on updating XOrg and then seperate
that into diffrent modules like, xorg-xserver, xorg-libs, xorg-fonts.

Nick