lin troubles

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Sat Apr 3 10:01:32 GMT 2004

Nick Hudson wrote:
> Auke,
>
> 	I dont know if this is just me or if its a bug in theedge but i wanted
> to run it by you before I reported anything to bugtracker.  The past few
> days have been a bit slow for me lining modules.  If I for example "lin
> libbonoboui" as one module it will take it a good full 2-3 minutes to
> actually do anything. It just sits there and does nothing, but if I let
> it sit long enough it will finally download and compile the module.  I
> did a test with 2 or more modules at once, for example "lin -c libbonobo
> gaim libgnome".  If I do that it will just kill itself after 5 minutes
> or so.  Nothing happens it will just exit me back out to my shell.
>
> 	Like I said it maybe just me and something that I am doing but I just
> wanted to run things by you 1st before I did anything.  Let me know if
> you want me to file a bug report on it or not or anything you want me to
> try.

yup, this happens when you're running a cvs moonbase and want to test
your changes. Lin will try to recreate the depends cache on the fly,
which happens in a backgrounded process first (don't ask me why,
Ihaven't had the time to trace it back)...

Anyway I'm aware of the problem. THere's 2 things to keep in mind here:

1) it only happens to devs (so normal users will never get this)
2) just let it pass, it should end (break perhaps) but if you retry the
command it should work

thinking of a solution to speed things up when [ $MOONBASE !=
/var/lib/lunar/moonbase ] .... none found

seeya,

Auke