perl 5.8.1

elaine elaine at fwsystems.com
Sun Sep 28 09:58:12 GMT 2003

I want to plan fairly extensive testing of perl beforeupdating moonbase

perl 5.8 broke a lot of applications, livejournal was one that I know
broke on update, everything2.com also.

While lunar isn't being used (that I know of) for anything like this
I'd rather test before pushing a change to moonbase.

the change that looks to be of concern is:

-----

Hash Randomisation

Mainly due to security reasons, the ``random ordering'' of hashes has been made even more random. Previously while the order of hash elements from keys(), values(), and each() was essentially random, it was still repeatable. Now, however, the order varies between different runs of Perl.

Perl has never guaranteed any ordering of the hash keys, and the ordering has already changed several times during the lifetime of Perl 5. Also, the ordering of hash keys has always been, and continues to be, affected by the insertion order.

The added randomness may affect applications.
----

see:
http://use.perl.org/articles/03/09/26/2231256.shtml?tid=6

These are the modules which use perl that seem most likely to 'matter'
if somthing in this perl breaks operation

gnome/oaf
kde3/kdoc2
doc-tools/gtk-doc
crypto/openssl/DEPENDS:depends  perl