version-capable core and sample gcc 3.3, 3.3.1 modules

elaine elaine at fwsystems.com
Mon Sep 15 17:37:17 GMT 2003

The other day I comitted versioning to theedge. Initially I've mede two
versions of gcc installed in /opt and with --enable-static --disable shared.
(to avoid conflicting shlibs).

These gccs will probably not work for some things such as kernel and glibc.
To use a more recent gcc for work on glibc make them --enable-shared and move
3.2.3 into a zlocal/gcc/3.2.3 directory (conservative approach).

Limitiations/notes:

Versions must begin with [0-9] and no other module subdirectories should
begin with [0-9].

I *beleive* all functions are safe and everything works as expected. Dependencies
seem to work fine with module/version syntax.

New tool behaviors:

Lin works with  "lin module/ver" or "lin -V v.v module" or "lin --Version v.v module.

I've added "lvu versions" command to show all versions of a module

Bugs:
lvu versions module it throws an error if you ask for versions of a module that
has none.

Use:

Aside from the example GCC's

I'm in the middle of installing gnome2/2.4.0 written entirely with /version style
modules and (relevant) dependencies all converted to /version notation. and
all seems to be running ok and will allow gnome 2.2 to stay untouched. (Of
course switching between the two will require changing paths and /etc/ld.so.conf)

I hadn't reallly intended to try versioning on such a large scale and I'm not sure
whether I'll commit these modules to moonbase; however build and operation both
look good and gnome2.2 still works -- albeit after I copied over a backup of
the /opt/lunar/gnome/2 dirs. I'm not certain if that was needed for a module
error or luser error.

Either way versioning seems to fundamentally work for a fairly complex module
set.

elaine