initscripts getting very close

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at lunar-linux.org
Fri Oct 31 13:04:27 GMT 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:27:41 -0500
Chuck Mead <csm at lunar-linux.org> wrote:

> We are just about there with the initscripts...
>
> Depending on what elaine and jasper say tomorrow we might be about
> ready
> to make a profile for this... call it new-init or something.

All seems to work fine. One odd thing I get is an error message before
anything has started:

Error stat(2)ing: "fd": no such file or directory

This is before even devfsd gets mounted, so it could be from
from initlog or perhaps bash. I couldn't find anything in the initlog
code. It doesn't do any harm apparently.

I have a few questions:

* our modutils / module-init-tools install an initscript to load all
modules listed in /etc/modules. The rc.sysinit doesn't seem to provide
any such functionality. Should something like that be added or is it
provided somewhere else?

* I have updated modules for metalog and fcron, should they be added to
the init.d scripts in CVS? And, in general, new and old initscripts are
not compatible, how should we handle this?

* there is some kernel related code in rc.sysinit that is very
redhat-specific. Perhaps some of our kernel guru's can have a look.
Specifically, the part calling depmod and some code dealing with a
special redhat kernel library. This doesn't stop us from using it now,
BTW, it simply is ignored.

* rc.sysinit loads mousedev and keyboarddev if you have usb. This
creates FATAL error messages from the kernel. The modules are probably
kernel 2.4 specific, but I'm not sure. Since we don't really support 2.6
it may not be a problem.

* the initscripts package provides sys-unconfig functionality, that
makes rc.sysinit reset some system stuff on reboot. This calls
several redhat config utilities. It may be nice to add these to lunar as
well, now that we have netconfig and ntsysv already: kbdconfig,
timeconfig, authconfig (pam setup?). Perhaps related to this:
pam_console_apply, which apparently sets up some pam permissions. I have
no idea if this is at all possible.

> Anyway it is rock solid here for me on two machines... and one of them
> is a lappie running pcmcia stuff!

It works perfectly for me, but so did the old system ;-)

	Jasper