initscripts hacking needed

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at lunar-linux.org
Wed Oct 29 12:20:03 GMT 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:56:42 -0500
Chuck Mead <csm at lunar-linux.org> wrote:

> All: In order to prepare our new initscripts module and associated
> packages and make them readiness for introduction into lunar there is
> bit of work left to do. I am going to need help hacking on these to
> get
> them going.

First list of problems:

* rc.sysinit calls '/sbin/pidof'; we have it in /bin.

* doesn't work with devfs. We probably should just let the kernel mount
  it automatically. This is what the script seems to expect.

* fails to bring up loopback device
  - ethtool is called which first wasn't installed, but also fails when
    called with a non-ethernet device.
  - arping was called. I don't have that and don't know what package
    installs it
  - bringing up lo should be simpler than that, shouldn't it? So, I'm
    guessing there is something missing, perhaps an ifup-lo ?

I'll investigate further later today.

	Jasper