[Fwd: Re: [ANN] Rubyx - A first look]

Chuck Mead csm at lunar-linux.org
Fri Oct 24 13:39:14 GMT 2003

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [ANN] Rubyx - A first look
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:46:33 +0900
From: Andrew Walrond <andrew at walrond.org>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby

I have been asked some questions off-list which might be generally
useful, so
I have paraphrased the questions and replies here;

Where are the ebuild equivalents?
How do I create a distro?
How does package management work?
Can I create binary packages?

The rubyx script does everything. The ebuild equivalents are included in
the
script; search for Pkg_ and have a look for yourself

You can create a distro with something like

rubyx --root my/distro/root --cpu pentium4  --cflags -O2 --distro kde
xemacs
apache

Once you've got it installed and booted, you can install/uninstall extra
packages like this

rubyx --install samba
rubyx --uninstall apache

And when a you get a new version of rubyx, you can upgrade your packages
like
this

rubyx --upgrade all --keep

Rubyx doesn't have any binary package support built in as it builds
everything
from source, but you can create a binary package easily like this

tar -cjf samba.tar.bz2 /pkg/samba

and install it on another machine like this

cd /pkg
tar -xjf samba.tar.bz2 /pkg/
rubyx --relink

Hope that clarifies things abit.

Andrew

- --
csm
Lunar Project Leader
Disclaimer: "I am not a curmudgeon! No... really..."
Addendum: "Bwahahaha! Fire up the orbital mind-control lasers!"